In pursuance of its Action Plan for performance evaluation, assessment and accreditation and quality up-gradation of institutions of higher education, the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalore proposes that every accredited institution should establish an Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) as a post-accreditation quality sustenance measure. Since quality enhancement is a continuous process, the IQAC will become a part of the institution’s system and work towards realisation of the goals of quality enhancement and sustenance. The prime task of the IQAC is to develop a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic improvement in the overall performance of institutions. For this, during the post-accreditation period, it will channelize all efforts and measures of the institution towards promoting its holistic academic excellence.
The primary aim of IQAC is
• To develop a system for conscious, consistent and catalytic action to improve the academic and administrative performance of the institution.
• To promote measures for institutional functioning towards quality enhancement through internalization of quality culture and institutionalization of best practices.
IQAC shall evolve mechanisms and procedures for
- 1.Ensuring timely, efficient and progressive performance of academic, administrative and financial tasks
- 2.The relevance and quality of academic and research programmes
- 3.Equitable access to and affordability of academic programmes for various sections of society
- 4.Optimization and integration of modern methods of teaching and learning
- 5.The credibility of evaluation procedures
- 6.Ensuring the adequacy, maintenance and proper allocation of support structure and services
- 7.Sharing of research findings and networking with other institutions in India and abroad.
Some of the functions expected of the IQAC are
- Development and application of quality benchmarks/parameters for various academic and administrative activities of the institution
- Facilitating the creation of a learner-centric environment conducive to quality education and faculty maturation to adopt the required knowledge and technology for participatory teaching and learning process
- Arrangement for feedback response from students, parents and other stakeholders on quality-related institutional processes
- Dissemination of information on various quality parameters of higher education
- Organization of inter and intra institutional workshops, seminars on quality related themes and promotion of quality circles
- Documentation of the various programmes/activities leading to quality improvement
- Acting as a nodal agency of the Institution for coordinating quality-related activities, including adoption and dissemination of best practices
- Development and maintenance of institutional database through MIS for the purpose of maintaining /enhancing the institutional quality
- Development of Quality Culture in the institution
- Preparation of the Annual Quality Assurance Report (AQAR) as per guidelines and parameters of NAAC, to be submitted to NAAC.
IQAC will facilitate / contribute
- 1. Ensure heightened level of clarity and focus in institutional functioning towards quality enhancement;
- 2. Ensure internalization of the quality culture;
- 3. Ensure enhancement and coordination among various activities of the institution and institutionalize all good practices;
- 4. Provide a sound basis for decision-making to improve institutional functioning;
- Act as a dynamic system for quality changes in HEIs;
- 5. Build an organised methodology of documentation and internal communication
- • To arrange for periodic assessment and accreditation of institutions of higher education or units thereof, or specific academic programmes or projects;
- • To stimulate the academic environment for promotion of quality of teaching-learning and research in higher education institutions;
- • To encourage self-evaluation, accountability, autonomy and innovations in higher education;
- • To undertake quality-related research studies, consultancy and training programmes, and
- • To collaborate with other stakeholders of higher education for quality evaluation, promotion and sustenance.
To promote the following core values among the HEIs of the country:
- • Contributing to National Development
- • Fostering Global Competencies among Students
- • Inculcating a Value System among Students
- • Promoting the Use of Technology
- • Quest for Excellence